Tuesday, April 17, 2018

First taste 2018

We had our first real spring taste of the garden today! The girls and their friends (and also the slugs and snails and cutworms errrghhh) have nibbled a few leaves of greens but nothing had made it inside to eat until today! We had our first radishes, still smaller than dimes. The girls planted the greens corner of the garden bed by sprinkling all of our remaining seeds from 2017 and it's been fun to watch them all sprout. Apparently we had some mixed color radish seeds because I pulled white, pink, and purple-ly ones. They were still mild and just peppery, not that hot terribleness that happens so quickly after a hot spell. I wandered the garden a bit today just looking at everything growing and I think this is going to be a wonderful year for the backyard! The blueberries and huckleberries are loaded with flowers. The strawberries are blooming too and the raspberries have tiny green blossoms just waiting to unfurl. The peas are already up a few inches and the potatoes, well, what can one really say about potatoes other than they are so ridiculously easy that you should go out and plant some right this second. I'm uncertain about the fruit trees, alas. The apricot had less than half the flowers of last year and then w had a big storm, so who knows. The pear tree is currently blooming and the mason bees are out so I'm hoping that they find each other. The apple hasn't bloomed yet but had a sad year last year so the jury is still out on that tree. We have a thimbleberry patch that is growing bigger this year and makes me incredibly happy just to see it. And then, the garden beds. I need to stop dithering and actually start making choices because very quickly it's going to be the end of spring and I'm going to be chastising myself for not having planted things earlier (which apparently is what I do every year).

No comments:

Post a Comment